Beginning June 15th all quarantine and testing rules for neighbor island travel will be dropped. And fewer travel restrictions are coming for Hawaii residents who are fully vaccinated against COVID are also coming soon.
By: KTNV StaffPosted at 6:50 AM, Jul 14, 2020 and last updated 9:24 AM, Jul 14, 2020
The state of Hawaii is extending its restrictions to out-of-state visitors.
Hawaii Gov. David Ige issued a mandatory 14-day quarantine for all arriving passengers, which applies to anyone who arrived after March 26.
Beginning Sept.1, the governor says anyone arriving in Hawaii will need a valid COVID-19 test within 72 hours prior to their trip – and show proof of a negative result – to avoid 14-day quarantine.
The islands are reporting around 1,200 cases.
Learn more on the Hawaii Tourism Authority website
HONOLULU — As Dallas-based Southwest Airlines ramps up its service to Hawaii with 28 daily flights by the end of May, the state is facing a problem in managing the growing number of visitors to the island who spend less money here every year.
“We’re not at a crisis point yet. We’re at a tipping point. We have so many visitors, we need to get serious about creating management programs,” said Frank Haas, a travel industry veteran who is the former marketing director at the Hawaii Tourism Authority and formerly served as an Assistant Dean at the University of Hawaii.
Haas joined James Mak, a professor emeritus at the University of Hawaii and Paul Brewbaker, a longtime economist who worked for the Bank of Hawaii, to write a nine-page white paper last month which details how Hawaii has failed to manage tourism.
“Yeah, I would even say we struck a nerve so to speak. We wrote about what a lot of (local) people are already thinking,” Brewbaker said.
Southwest Airlines has finally announced details on its Hawaii flights, with tickets on sale Monday and the first flight taking off March 17.
The initial flights will be between Oakland and Honolulu, with additional flights from Oakland and flights from San Jose added in April and May. Tickets are available on Southwest’s website for the new routes.
Address: 3900 Wailea Alanui Dr, Wailea, HI 96753
Phone: (808) 874-8000
- 5-star hotel
- 3 restaurants
- 24-hour fitness center
- Full-service spa
- tennis courts
- Complimentary breakfast and airport transportation services
- 3 pools and 58 cabanas
- 9-minute walk from Wailea Beach
- 0.8 miles from Wailea Golf Club
- 17 miles from Kahului Airport
- 5-star hotel
- 6 restaurants and bars
- Full-service spa
- Outdoor pool and fitness center with personal trainers
- 173,120-sq-ft of event space
- 2-minute walk from Kapalua Bay Beach
- 2 golf courses
- 2 tennis courts
- Whale watching, snorkeling, hiking, kayaking, surfing, boogie boarding, sailing, canoeing, hiking, and more.
A couple from North Carolina is suing Marriott and Kyo-Ya Hotels and Resorts, saying they were not informed about the ongoing hotel workers strike before coming to the islands for their honeymoon.
The class-action lawsuit filed this week states that the couple had only limited services at the hotel, yet they were still charged full price ($2,391) for their five-night stay.
The suit stated,“The hotel provided limited or no housekeeping services, no valet parking service, no room service, no pool attendants, and very limited to no on-site restaurant and bar service,”
Keith Vieira, a former Starwood and Sheraton hotel executive, said “Nobody wins in this. The workers really don’t recover the funds, the tips they would have gotten so they suffer,”
Phone: (808) 886-1234
- 4-star hotel
- Located on 62 acres along the Kohala Coast
- Tram system allows convenient movement around the property
- Numerous restaurants and lounges
- A full-service spa and fitness center
- 3 swimming pools, including one with a 174 foot water slide.
- Saltwater lagoon and dolphin encounter available
- 2 championship golf courses
- Black sand beach, swimming lagoon with green sea turtles, kayaking, paddle boating and a dolphin encounter experience
- Kids’ activity program
- 235, 000 sq ft of business space
- 0 miles from Waikoloa Beach Golf Course
- 6.1 miles from Waikoloa Village Golf Club
- 2.4 miles from The Shops At Mauna Lani
- 16.3 miles from Kona International Airport
Phone: (808) 923-2311
- 5-star hotel
- Located on Waikiki Beach
- 3 restaurants and 2 cocktail bars
- Heated outdoor pool with a glass-tiled floor
- Full-service spa with Polynesian treatments
- 3 miles from Diamond Head State Monument
- 9 miles from Honolulu International Airport
Address: 3411 Wilcox Rd, Lihue, HI 96766
Phone: (808) 245-7333
- 3-star hotel
- Heated outdoor pool and BBQ grills
- Water sports, shuffleboard courts and tennis courts
- Balconies with ocean views
- Some rooms have air-conditioning.
- 5-minute walk from Kalapaki Beach
- 2.6 miles from Lihue Airport
- 5 minute walk from Nawiliwili Park
- Kauai Lagoons Golf Course is 2.2 miles from the hotel