- The body of a 32-year-old man has been recovered Monday morning
- He got stuck in a waterslide support pipe at Eldorado Aquatic Park in Scottsdale
- It’s unknown whether the individual is a worker or someone else at the park
- Officials initially held a rescue effort that later changed into a recovery effort
Phil HelselAugust 5, 2020, 8:57 PM·2 mins read
Two people suffered stab wounds and two were arrested after a large brawl at a Southern California hotel that involved as many as 100 people, police said.
Officers found 60 to 100 people involved in a fight in a parking lot outside and in the lobby of the Cambria Hotel around 12:40 p.m. Wednesday, said Sgt. Shane Carringer, an Anaheim police spokesman.
“People did arm themselves with makeshift weapons. It appears they used broomsticks and the legs of chairs,” Carringer said. “It was obviously a chaotic scene.”
Two people suffered lacerations that Carringer described as stab wounds, but the injuries were not life-threatening, he said.
A group of Walt Disney World Resort visitors encountered a lot more water than they expected on a ride at Splash Mountain on Sunday.
A video shared by one rider shows a log flume ride starting to sink, forcing the evacuation of everyone on board after the water flooded up to their seats at the Florida theme park.
firstname.lastname@example.org (Hannah Jiang,Elizabeth McCauley),Business Insider•July 22, 2020
Turks and Caicos closed its borders in March to stop the spread of the coronavirus, stranding tourists who were visiting the islands.
- The territory ended its lockdown on Wednesday, allowing tourists James Ohliger and Romane Recalde to return home to New York City after five months.
- The Turks and Caicos economy is almost entirely dependent on US tourism, and the lockdown is estimated to have cost the territory $22 million a month.
- View more episodes of Business Insider Today on Facebook.
James Ohliger and Romane Recalde traveled to the Turks and Caicos Islands in March for a five-day vacation.
But when the local government decided to close its borders until July in order to curb the spread of the coronavirus, the couple’s five-day trip turned into a five-month quarantine.
During this time, many Turks and Caicos businesses that rely on tourism have suffered.
“The island is completely dead,” Ohliger, cofounder of Jerry Media, told Business Insider Today. “All the reservations canceled. The beach is basically a private beach for us and everything shut down.”
The Turks and Caicos Islands, which saw over 1.5 million tourists in 2019, is expected to lose $22 million a month because of the lockdown. The islands’ economy is based almost entirely on tourism, particularly from the United States.
Ohliger, who has traveled there for the past 33 years, said it’s been hard to see so many people out of work. His friend, Kamario Smith, normally works as a bartender at the Ocean Club Resort on the island of Providenciales, and called the impact “very, very devastating.”
The couple plans to return to New York on July 22, the day Turks and Caicos reopens its borders.
As the coronavirus pandemic continues to pummel the United States, Las Vegas seems to be operating business as usual. Casinos have been open since June 4—undeterred by the 123 visitors who have tested positive for the highly contagious virus and the 51-year-old Caesars employee who died in late June.
But it’s not business as usual for doctors and nurses in Las Vegas’ besieged health-care system, who say they are “overwhelmed and terrified” about the massive influx of new cases in a state officially deemed a “red zone” by the White House.
“I would say in the last month we’ve been completely overwhelmed with COVID-19 patients and our hospital is running out of space,” one Las Vegas emergency room doctor, who wished to remain anonymous for fear of professional retaliation, told The Daily Beast on Friday. “Not only are we overwhelmed and terrified, but based on the numbers for the rest of the country, it’s only going to get worse for us.”
Need A Rental Car, Hotel, Or flight?
email@example.com (Kelly McLaughlin)
Leisa Tyler/LightRocket via Getty Images
- A boy was left with arm, head, and chest injuries after the shark attack near Stanley, on the northwest coast of Tasmania, Australia.
- Ambulance Tasmania said in a statement on Facebook that the boy was on a fishing expedition when a shark grabbed him from a boat and pulled him into the water.
- The shark swam away when the boy’s father jumped in to rescue his son.
- Hours before the attack, police said a “large shark” was seen near Stanley and encouraged people to “take necessary precautions,” according to the Australian Associated Press.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
A 10-year-old boy in Australia was injured on Friday when a shark dragged him off of a boat and into the water, officials said.
The boy was left with arm, head, and chest injuries after the incident near Stanley, on the northwest coast of Tasmania, Ambulance Tasmania said in a statement on Facebook. He is now in stable condition now.
firstname.lastname@example.org (David Slotnick)
David McNew / Getty Images
- An Alaska Airlines flight was forced to turn around and make an emergency landing after a passenger on board became “extremely belligerent and physically aggressive” shortly after takeoff on Saturday.
- Video of the incident shows the man walking the aisles saying he would kill everyone on board “in the name of Jesus.”
- The man was subdued by the flight crew and fellow passengers, including a police officer who happened to be on board.
An Alaska Airlines flight was forced to make an emergency landing on Saturday after a passenger became aggressive and threatened to kill all the other passengers on board.
Alaska Airlines Flight 422 left from Seattle-Tacoma airport just after 11 p.m., bound for Chicago O’Hare, according to data from flight tracking website FlightRadar24.
British tourists have resorted to sleeping on beaches because hotels they booked are still closed, according to a new report.
The unlucky travellers were left disappointed when they turned up to their destinations and discovered some hotels were still closed following the coronavirus lockdown.
Consumer watchdog Which? said travel agency Loveholidays was one of the main culprits for booking hotels that were not open, the Times newspaper reported.
Brits who decided not to sleep on beaches or return home had to find alternative accommodation.
Paul Davis, 48, booked a £1,500 trip to Spain on 1 July when international travel advice was relaxed in the UK.
But when he arrived three days later in Salou on the Costa Daurada, the 4R Regina Gran hotel he was meant to stay in was closed and he had to arrange an alternative.
He lost a £250 deposit when he later transferred to a Loveholidays hotel, according to the report.
Davis, from Lincolnshire, told the Times: “When we pulled up I thought we must have the wrong hotel: it was all shut and hadn’t been opened for a good while.
“It’s disgusting. We were fortunate enough to have the money to stay somewhere else but lots of other people probably aren’t in that position.”
Daniella Medina, Salisbury Daily Times
SALISBURY, Md. — A swimmer was caught on camera handling a shark off Cape Henlopen State Park Beach in Delaware last weekend.
The video, shared on Facebook by Delaware native Rachael Foster, depicts a man grabbing onto the shark, trying to unhook the shark after it had been caught. The video yielded a combined 200,000 views on Facebook and TikTok.
“Everyone started yelling, ‘Shark, shark, get out of the water!’” Foster said. “It was so crazy, like a movie. Like Jaws.”
It began with a wedding in Egypt’s capital Cairo on 6 March: eight years after they first met, 36-year-old Khaled and Peri, 35, married in front of their friends and families.
A few days later, the Dubai-based couple left for Cancún, Mexico, with barely a worry in the world: coronavirus seemed a distant concern, as it had yet to fully spread across the globe.
So while the couple were careful to avoid crowded places, they say they “never expected” travel restrictions to affect their plans.
But by the time they were returning home to the United Arab Emirates (UAE) via Turkey on 19 March, the full scale was becoming apparent.
“While we were on the plane we had access to internet and then we started getting messages from people ‘Are you going to be able to get to Dubai? There’s a new law, they’re banning expats,'” Peri told the BBC.